Day 148: Sandhead to Port Logan

Distance: 26.60 miles

Ascent: 2895 feet

Weather: SUnny Very Hot

Accommodation: Wild Camp Port Logan


I was up very early, due to the fact I wanted to leave early to try and get a few hours in before the temperature got too hot as well as having a lot of miles to try and get done before the kind offer of a BBQ this evening.

Sandhead Bay was lovely in the morning sunshine (again not a cloud in sight) and the temperature was just perfect. As it was low tide I was able to cut the corner a little bit by walking across the sand. I joined the Mull of Galloway Trail here which you may guess by the name where it would end up. The first 9 miles or so of this were mainly on nice paths skirting the beach or following the low cliffs all the way to Drummore, though there were a few sections on road which seemed a little unnecessary. On this part I passed the remains of a windmill that I can’t quite believe was from circa 1684 and has already been a ruin for 150 years.

At Drummore I had proposed to stop for a quick tea but on a arrival at the café there was a sign saying ‘sorry we are not open till Friday.’ So I had a quick break down on the shore and then carried on. This next part was lovely all on paths, slowly climbing higher up the cliffs as I headed towards the Mull of Galloway. Once on the Mull but just short of the lighthouse my path took me into a field containing cows, I was happily crossing with only 2 cows following me when suddenly I noticed the big boy coming (how had I not seen the big bull!) he was not charging but coming at a fair pace and I was not staying around to see if it was safe and vaulted over the dry stone wall in double quick time.

The actual Mull of Galloway was a bit of a shock, having seen no one on the path all morning I was suddenly surrounded by people. It was a very scenic area with stunning views and a picturesque lighthouse. The café there was in a stunning turfed roof building with extraordinary views, but the inside and look of food was not great. I grabbed a quick cold drink to go with the pack lunch that Amy had kindly sent me of with.

I joined a core path on this west side of the peninsula which based on my online map would take me at least several miles all the way to Port Mona if not beyond. But after only a mile it tried to steer me inland and the coastal route was blocked by lots of electric and barb wire fences but fortunately these were all easily climbable and though slowed down a bit I reached Port Mona in good time.

From here I would be following farm tracks and lanes all the way to Port Logan. I was quite high up now and fortunately getting a nice breeze which helped in the hot conditions. In one field they were herding the bullocks (about 50 of them) and it was amazing to watch, they literally had to drive the land rover and quadbike straight at them to make them move but once they got moving the whole group was stampeding and they had to be quite skilful to stop them running the wrong way or splitting up.

I arrived at Port Logan having done almost 27 miles in the heat and actually felt not to bad. This was a very scenic bay and in the late afternoon sun was lovely. I pitched my tent in the middle of the dunes and then met up with Jack, Amy and the family (from Sands of Luce Holiday Park) who had kindly offered to follow me here in the car today and do a BBQ which was great in these surroundings. They had also invited some other friends, one of which had kindly offered me a private bothy to sleep in tomorrow night.

All in all a very warm but great day, and a very relaxing evening.

charles compton